[Tracer 700] Stock forks oil / stiffness depending on the production year

Du siehst das Forum als Gast - als registriertes Mitglied stehen dir alle Forenbereiche zur Verfügung. Wir freuen uns auf dich!

• Hello, everybody!

I have read quite a lot of very useful info in these MT07 forums using Google Translate.

It was not so hard to understand, but I would really like to spare you from reading English to German translation Google would make of my posts.

Please, feel free to answer in German - I'll get along in most cases.

Thx.

Back to the topic:

I am looking for a second-hand Tracer to ride for a couple of seasons. My original plan is not to stay with it "forever", as I would like to end up (sooner or later) with Tracer 900, but we will see about that...

Right now, Tracer 900 is not an option for me because:

• my skill level have to increase to be able to utilize more then 5% of its abilities
    • it's harder to lower it enough then Tracer 700, and I really need a seat at 800mm, maximum 810mm, to ride comfortably
    • it's heavier
    • it's more expensive

So, as far as I understood, contrary to Tracer 900, Tracer 700 did not change too much during the years (except for the 2020 model).

Model 2019 got a different (for better or worse) shock absorber and that should be it.

Nevertheless, I have found on a couple of places on the Internet a story about too soft front suspension providing not enough support for quicker turn / brake actions. This kind of issue was related to the initial couple of years of production and should be already solved by the producer by a really simple trick: allegedly, they have started using ticker fork oil.

So, my question would be if anybody has heard from which production year Tracer 700 comes with a ticker oil in its forks, so that I can try picking up the one I do not have to mod myself?

If it still comes to changing the fork oil on my own: would it be possible to do it without a removal of forks (as they are accessible, not inverted), or one should not try such a messy act?

Thx in advance!

• English Version below.

Von einer Änderung der werksseitigen Ölviskosität habe ich noch nichts gehört.

Wenn du dir nur zutraust 5% einer Tracer900 nutzen zu können, werden es bei der Tracer700 nicht mehr als 10% sein. Ich glaube kaum, dass eine leicht veränertes Gabelöl einen Unterschied für dich machen werden.

So, wie es in deinem Text scheint, wird die Tracer dein erstes Motorrad. In dem Fall kann ich nur empfehlen, dir weniger Gedanken über Feinheiten der Fahrwerkdynamik zu machen, die irgendjemand mal irgendwo festgestellt haben will. Stattdessen solltest du erstmal grundlegende Routine in das Fahren zu bekommen. Dann wirst du Mängel irgendwann selber identifizieren können.

Sollte es dann nötig sein, ist das Gabelöl schnell getauscht. Kosten und Aufwand sind gering. Das sollte kein wichtiges Kriterium beim Kauf sein.

---

I never heard of any change of the OEM oil viscosity.

If you are confident in only using 5% of a Tracer900, you will probably use no more than 10% of a Tracer 700. So I don't believe a slight difference in the suspension oil will make any difference to you.

As it seems to me from reading your text the Tracer will be your first bike. In that case I recommend worrying less about absolute accuracy of the suspension, that anybodyclaims to have noticed at any point. Instead get lots of basic routine in driving. Sonner or later you will identify any shortages by yourself.

In case the fork oil is changed quick and easily. Cost and needed time are low. So this should not be an important criteria for the purchase.

• Hi,

Mine is a 2017 model and to me the suspension feels rather on the hard side (and I'm quite heavy). I have read different opinions by others though too which gets me wondering if perhaps it's not down to personal assumption alone but if there were actual differences in the production process.

Anyway the Tracer is a fun and nimble bike.

Seit ich hier bin brauche ich meinen Müll nicht mehr rausbringen. Ich poste ihn einfach :lachen

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Greetinx (4. Mai 2020 um 07:57)

• Thank you both for your answers!

I have one really big thing cleared now:

I should not care about the year of production (at least not as much as I did so far)!

My ~80kg should not be an issue for a default suspension, and if it's needed later, fork oil could be easily replaced.

Now I can go for some low millage 2017 or similar, which I was avoiding before. I know in that case I will run into brake hoses replacement next year, but maybe it will be a nice opportunity to switch to metal-braided ones.

Regarding the other points mentioned:

Tracer 700 would be my second bike. My first bike, I currently own, is '97 Freewind and this is my 4th season with it. Some 15k km under the wheels, a couple of short tours through Austrian Alps and northern Dolomite, a lot of city commuting and occasional riding around Vienna. All maintenance, except for steam bearing and tires change, done by myself. Great bike, but I have to progress further as I'm running out of time.

I have test ridden following bikes recently:

• MT-07; it was really great, light bike; with its 805mm high and really narrow seat I could easily handle it in a city stop-and-go traffic and maneuver during parking; agile, jumpy, but not for a longer rides nor seating position I would prefer in general
    • Tracer 700 (model 2019); same engine, a bit heavier, seating position as I would like to have; nevertheless, with original 835mm seat height it was really demanding to calculate each stop and maneuvering the bike while stopped was complete nightmare - I was barely tip-toeing; on the other side, bike was riding like it was "on the rail" - it did exactly what I have expected from it, it was easy for me to open the full throttle even in lower gears without a fear it will do something unpredictable; I liked it very much!
    • MT-09 SP; as I am not able to test ride 850mm tall Tracer 900, and I still wanted to feel the power of the crazy triple, I went for 820mm seat height found on MT-09; I got SP version by chance; so, this machine is something completely different; aggressive seating position aside, the engine is obviously a different league compared to ones I am used to; in corners, bike had almost its own mind and will where to go and what to do - it was nothing similar to Tracer 700; full throttle acceleration was really scary, and unintended power whillie in 1st gear at 60km/h was a piece of cake, and scary; but, at least for now, that's not my cup of tea I guess

Anyways, I will try to find some nice offer for Tracer 700 and work on solutions to lower it enough to use it comfortably in the city and outside.

I will write in the separate/correct topic about lowering.

• Guys, I did not (have a nerve to) test this on higher speeds, but when I am braking a bit harder until I bring bike to the full stop, I can easily get rear wheel lifted off the ground.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne deine Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.

Is this an expected / by-design behavior or I should do something with my forks?

• My XSR does the same.

The phenomenon is more or less by design, because the break tries to stop the wheel from rotating relative to the bike, not the bike from moving... ;)

Use the rear wheel brake ahead (just a bit) of the front brake. This compresses the suspension and lowers the center of mass of the bike,

which in turn lowers the risk of a stoppie.

And you should ease off the front brake whenever the rear wheel loses contact with the ground.

You should practice braking, especially at higher speeds. Maybe do a safety course.

You will notice a feeling of disconnect when the rear wheel lifts of the street.

If you increase the branking force run by run you will get a feel for the "right" amount.

EDIT: The "right" amounts depends on a lot of variables, which necessitates a lot of practice in a lot of different circumstances.

e.i. wet roads, bad roads, no roads, inclination

Whether a stiffer fork would make the issue go away is not for me to say.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von HF1983 (22. Juni 2020 um 13:56)

• Off-topic, automatic translators: Give DeepL a chance. At least for English -> German DeepL does a better job. I tried Italian -> German and - frankly - Google sucks, DeepL not so much!